Message from the Chairman
Riches are so much more than money in the bank. The richness of our community’s artists, musicians, dancers, performers, cultural and environmental organizations, small businesses, natural beauties and the kindness and generosity of our people make us all wealthy.
Being associated with this festival and the creative, all volunteer, community-minded, hard-working group of people who make it happen has enriched my own life. Thank you to the festival committee members and festival volunteers over the past TWENTY years! It has given me pride and hope in my community and in humanity to see this spirit of teamwork. Here’s to TWENTY YEARS of celebrating inclusion, color, creativity and richness in Buffalo!
The Elmwood Avenue Festival of the Arts mission is to foster growth in and awareness of Western New York’s artistic and cultural treasures and improve the fabric of our unique urban environment. We strive to accomplish our mission in an environmentally sustainable manner.
The goals of the Elmwood Avenue Festival of the Arts are:
- To give regional artists, craftspeople, musicians, arts organizations and community groups a family oriented venue in which to present their work, and to help foster the creation and growth of these grassroots enterprises.
- Create a children’s festival that celebrates and educates through the Arts. Offering hands -on art projects, some collaborative, that will bring together children of all ages, backgrounds and abilities.
- Commission and fund public art, fund tree plantings and other beautification projects.
- Create an environmentally sustainable event.
- Highlight the richness of Buffalo, the Elmwood Avenue Village and its stores, restaurants and people.
We plan on accomplishing this by seeking out regional artists and developing marketplaces for them in cooperation with our volunteers, commmunity groups, neighborhood businesses, regional arts organizations, galleries, colleges and universities and our sponsors. We feel that providing such a venue is an economic development tool for the neighborhood, city, region and state.